Since reducing the amount of paper used for industries and offices is one of the main goals of our era, finding an intelligent way to manage paperwork in a paperless fashion became mandatory. But managing virtual documents is just as complicated as dealing with physical papers is. This is how SharePoint Document Management emerged on the market. Nowadays, SharePoint is offering some of the most basic yet powerful document management functions. In the most basic form of this software, it offers document storage solutions. But its features go beyond this simplistic definition. If you have troubleshootings with SharePoint, you can try PDFelement Pro.
One of the best alternative solutions to SharePoint Document Management is PDFelement Pro. It may be one of the most versatile PDF document management solutions, being packed with a multitude of useful features for corporations and enterprises of all sizes. These are some aspects worth knowing about these products and the benefits they could bring to an enterprise, regardless of its dimensions.
Why Choose This Alternative Solution to SharePoint Document Management:
SharePoint Document Management system emerged on the market as an intranet storage solution, in 2001. It offered solutions for personal and commercial entities, helping those to store, organize and access information in an easier fashion. Since then, there were implemented six browser-based versions of this platform. Nowadays, SharePoint is offering cloud, on-premise and hybrid file storage and management solutions. Since the release of the 2013 version, SharePoint comes alongside Microsoft 365. The 2016 version was modified in such a fashion to improve user experience and search parameters. This comes as a necessary update, in order for the product to be able to meet the increasing customization necessity. The improvements prove themselves useful since companies that lack on-premises deployment solutions, found in this product a more affordable product.
In terms of document storage and management, SharePoint is offering several available solutions. For instance, some of the widely used storage solutions when it comes to SharePoint are:
The document management option can be used with ease by the vast majority of the users. It acts as a larger folder, where users can store and manage related documents, by using their own "Home Page". This option comes with the advantage of offering increased standardization features, each project having a pre-defined set of templates. Also, the "Document Version" feature will offer an accurate overview of all sets of documents with all versions when they were modified. This will offer a closer look at the different stages of a certain project and an overview of the requested time parameters for each of those.
However, this method may not be suitable for work processes and enterprises that don't activate on a project-type of work frame. Also, the managed metadata storage and management technique may require high levels of comprehension, and a deeply rooted SharePoint organizational culture. Regardless of the preferred technique, in order to implement document management system in SharePoint, the user will have to:
Certain tips and tricks will empower project managers and employees make the most out of this amazing platform. Below we will list some of those.
1. Use all the features integrated. Although at its very core is used for simple document storage and management, the most recent version comes with several other features integrated.
2. Consider document classification. Once you make a clear idea how the documents are managed and what relationships exist between those, it is advisable to start classifying those. By using a whiteboard or by simply observing, start deciding if:
3. Use metadata. SharePoint does offer strong metadata features that will help you organize better your documents. Make sure that the used metadata is appropriate for each document, for easier management.
4. User adoption plays a great role. Make sure that all users know how to use properly all SharePoint features. Only this way you will make sure that it is used at its full potential.
5. Integrate documents in the management process. This may be the easiest way in which you can align existing documents with existing processes, and the best way in which you could use SharePoint.